Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Honeymoon

We were told when Daniel was diagnosed in March, that when we got his blood sugar under control he would experience a "honeymoon" phase. During this time, his body would require little insulin, and it would almost be as if the disease went away. Of course it doesn't to away, but in gets better for a time.

About 2 months after we got home from the hospital he he was having really low readings. Dangerously low, like 42 when it should be at least 90. The first step was to take him off of the insulin he gave with meals. He was still low, so we lowered the long acting insulin. It still didn't correct the problem, so he was taken off all meds.

You would think this would be a great, relaxed happy time. It wasn't for me. I constantly worried that his levels would spike up again. Of course he was still checking his blood before meals and bedtime, but I knew it would be back, and I didn't want to be surprised.
It only took 2 months for it to come back. He is back on insulin, but it is hard to adjust his levels. He has started soccer season, and the daytime exercise sometimes doesn't kick in to make insulin until after bedtime. He sometimes wakes up really low, or hypoglycemic. This really scares me, because I know that he could not wake up, and slip into a comma.

I am sure we will get used to things as time goes on. He goes to diabetes camp next week, and will get more training and be around kids who have had the desease for a long time. If anyone reads this who has advise for us, I appreciate the comments.
Julianna

No comments: